Friday, March 18, 2011

EPJ: Project Report

For my EPJ final project I've proposed to bring photojournalism to government reporting. The gist is that civic meetings and those who contribute are crucially important to policy yet are often unseen by the citizens affected.

To tell this story, I've proposed to cover civic meetings and individuals who participate. The Office of Neighborhood Citizens offers an annual class for citizens who want to organize their communities and engage more effectively with local government. Here's a rough example of a video from that program's graduation. Next, I'll be working on editing photos and audio to create concise version of meetings.


Of course individuals make meetings. On April 9th, I'll be visiting two people I met at the meeting above as they participate in Clean Up Columbia. According to one citizen, his neighborhood northeast of Paris Rd. and I70 is one of the most littered areas in the city. Yet the area has been improving since Socket, the telecom company, moved in and started cleaning up the neighborhood. Moreover, one of the managers at the store attended the neighborhood leaders workshop. With my camera, I'll look at how the two are working to improve their neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment